This article is a guide meant to help those searching for the best online backup features for business. That means those looking for plans that include multiple computers, advanced configurations and network security requirements.
Our features list is what we have decided is the most important when backing up online for your business. This includes those that need more than 5 computers backed up and more than 1 account for managing the backups.
- Sub accounts - Ideal for those with more than one person using online backup. The software or service should include ways to manage each account. Some plans come with unlimited sub accounts some come with a limited number. When doing research, have a plan directed toward how many people and computers will be a part of your online backup.
- Encryption - A must have for all online backup. Even if you are a one-man business, it is absolutely necessary to keep your data safe and private through data encryption. This is a method of scrambling your information during transfer so that it is unreadable to outside viewers. The standard is 256 bits.
- Tech Support - This may seem obvious, but it's crucial for businesses to have quick and easy to solutions to problems should they arise. Phone support is highly recommended. Some teams have specialists designated for business/enterprise online backup plans.
- Versioning - This is a type of archiving that stores your different versions of your data. Either by historical timeline or by a set amount of versions. This will help you find older versions of the same file if you have overwritten an important document for instance, this will allow you to find the previous version.
- Redundancy - By duplicating files to more than one data center a company can increase the protection your data has by spreading it out to more than one physical location.
- Network Backup - This is a feature that allows can either back up a network server, a network drive or users on the network.
- Online Access - A feature that allows your to access your files online. Either through provided software or through an online backup company's website.